I'm one of these medical mystery types. Described as "a complicated case" in case I hadn't noticed over the past three and a half years, I think we're finally getting somewhere. This is my diary of living with the illness and disabilities, without knowing what I'm fighting.

Wednesday 12 January 2011

My birthday

Today (12th) is my 18th birthday. Since I last saw the rheumatologist, I've got appointments to see the physiotherapist (again) the occupational therapist and for my MRI scan. Hopefully at some point someone will give me something better to manage my pain, and feeling so ill.
Last week I got a phonecall from my GP, telling me that I've been taking too much of one of my medications even though I'm certain I was told to increase the dose. I wouldn't have just decided to up my own dose. As a result, I've been in terrible pain in my back and leg, and I've been just as ill. So exhausted.
However, my university application has been going well. I can't remember at which point I left you last time, but I now have 3 offers for Plymouth, Reading and Nottingham, to read history, ancient and modern history and archaeology respectively. In addition to this, I've had plenty of "disability and reasonable adjustment" questionnaires, which have become the bane of my life, as 3 lines really isn't enough to write down everything that's wrong with me. I'm waiting to hear from Bath Spa and Aberystwyth, which makes me nervous as I really want to go to Bath Spa. Until then, I have to revise for my history exam on the 20th, which should be great fun...
Back to the point of this post, ie my birthday, I had a lovely day. When I woke up I had presents, in the form of some boots, a coat and a tshirt saying "I told you so" to wear to the doctors if necessary to name a few. I went to school, where me and one other person turned up to the lesson, as everyone else was doing an RS retake, which was followed up by a trip to the corner shop to buy my first legal age restricted product (a 98p lighter :L). Me and my mum and sister and some friends went for a meal quite early, where I got the bag I loved, and then visited my grandma for cake and more gifts :), I got a dress and a cheque, and an amazing box made in india, painted with crushed gems and real gold. Its so beautiful, I'll try and post a picture. Then I went to a pub quiz with my dad and his partner, where we came 2nd and won some alcohol :L, and they bought me a new camera for my birthday! As well as a case and a memory card :).
Ultimately, today has been lovely, so many people wishing me a happy birthday, but I have felt so ill and exhausted throughout. Its hard to imagine I suppose if you haven't been ill, but its almost like becoming exhausted by watching a football match. I haven't done much at all, being in the wheelchair, but feel just as exhausted as if I had, and feel as ill as I ever did.
On Saturday evening, I'm going to have my friends over for takeaway and such. I sort of wish I could do something more unusual for my 18th birthday, but I'm too ill to really be able to do much else other than sitting, and if I feel better I can always do something later on in the year...

No comments:

Post a Comment